What to Expect at Your Sports Physical Visit
The sports physical exam is known as a pre-participation physical examination (PPE). The exam helps determine whether it’s safe for a student to participate in a certain sport.
Download the official SMCHS Sport Physical Form HERE. Please fill this out and bring it with you to your appointment. You can always fill this form out at the clinic, but doing so beforehand will make the visit quicker.
There are two main parts to a sports physical: the medical history and the physical exam.
This part of the exam includes questions about:
- Serious illnesses among family members
- Illnesses that you had when you were younger or may have now, such as asthma, diabetes, or epilepsy
- Previous hospitalizations or surgeries
- Allergies (to insect bites, for example)
- Past injuries (including concussions, sprains, or bone fractures)
- Whether you’ve ever passed out, felt dizzy, had chest pain, or had trouble breathing during exercise
- Any medications that you are on (including over-the-counter medications, herbal supplements, and prescription medications)
- During the physical part of the exam, the doctor will usually:
- Record your height and weight
- Take a blood pressure and pulse (heart rate and rhythm)
- Test your vision
- Check your heart, lungs, abdomen, ears, nose, and throat
- Evaluate your posture, joints, strength, and flexibility
Additional Exam Services
Heart Screening: If your student-athlete has tested positive for COVID-19 or may have contracted the disease and experienced symptoms, schedule an EKG to check for heart arrhythmias. Early detection saves lives! This heart screening is only $89 for Eagle student-athletes. Please let the front desk know if you would like a heart screening for your student-athlete at the time of your sports physical or click the box at the time of making your appointment.
Eye Screening: Screen time for Americans has increased 60% within the last year, leaving children at-risk for developing serious eye conditions like Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS). We’ve partnered with a local Ophthalmologist to offer FREE eye screenings to all student-athletes. This advanced screening uses the State-of-the-art Zeiss Teleretinal Screening System which uncovers eye conditions such as macular degeneration and diabetes. Please let the front desk know you would like a complimentary eye-screening when you arrive for your sports physical. The screening only takes a few minutes.
Keeping You Safe During Your Visit
We at Marque Urgent Care, understand your concerns and apprehensions regarding COVID-19. Our focus is, and has always been the safety and wellbeing of our patients, staff and communities. We’re taking every precaution and protocol in keeping our staff and patients safe when they come to our clinics.
- All Marque staff is trained on the latest COVID-19 safety protocols and patients should feel confident that all precautions are followed.
- All Marque team members remain diligent about frequent hand washing and utilizing hand sanitizer before and after every visit.
- In addition to complying with the CDC, WHO and OHA guidelines for proper healthcare, provider hygiene and surface disinfection, we undergo a sequence of relentless cleaning and sanitation measures.
- Every surface, instrument, and equipment is wiped down, disinfected and cleaned before and after each patient and staff member enters and exits an exam room.
- A mask is REQUIRED to enter any Marque clinic.
- All patients and family members undergo an initial assessment at our front lobby doors before entry. This includes a temperature check and evaluation for any common symptoms related to COVID-19. Patients who have a fever or any symptoms related to COVID-19 are not allowed into the clinic. They’re directed to make a Virtual Video Visit with one of our providers for assessment and evaluation.
Our goal is to make this process as safe and as convenient as possible. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
What to Know Before Your Sport Physical Visit
- Insurance is not accepted for physicals and payment is due at time of visit.
- The cost of the physical is $50 and a portion of the cost will be donated back to SMCHS.
- Bring any required forms including a completed health and immunization history.
- A sports physical should not replace an annual wellness physical.