Author: Monique Herb, Regional Manager
I’m a big fan of snacking. The key is to pick an afternoon snack that’s high in protein and incorporates healthy fat.
Based on a 2022 magazine survey, they found that 90% of working American women admit to snacking at work, but nearly 80% are unhappy with their snack choices. When I don’t plan my meals throughout the day, I usually end up reaching for the candy bar or overdoing it later, at dinnertime. The key here is to simply listen to your body. If you’re hungry, eat – I mean your body IS trying to tell you something! Just make sure your snack choices are smart. Here are some of my favorite quick, healthy and portable snacks:
- String Cheese, Fruit, Hard-Boiled Eggs or Nuts: If you ever go into a Starbucks and browse their snack section, you’ll see a variety of cheese paired with apples, nuts and hard-boiled eggs. It’s not just a coincidence, they are purposely together because combining these different proteins, carbs and fats will keep you fueled and satisfied. There are 100-calorie almonds and cashews individual packets that are a good buy.
- Hummus & Veggies: Hummus adds some protein and healthy fat and the veggies will give you some great nutrients. If you have a fridge at work, try keeping the tub of hummus there and bring some veggies to work such as: baby carrots, celery, sliced bell peppers, etc.
- Greek Yogurt: It’s a fact – Greek yogurt is packed with protein. When choosing a Greek yogurt, try to buy one without any additives or fillers. My favorite brands are Siggis (though this isn’t technically Greek, it’s a very healthy yogurt), Stonyfield Organic Greek yogurt and Chobani. If you’re feeling extra hungry, add some slivered almonds, flax or chia seeds to keep your blood sugar up.
- Fruit + Nuts or Nut Butter: I absolutely love this type of snack, because it’s the easiest! Simply throw a piece of whole fruit (or pack some berries) and a serving of nuts or nut butter in your bag and you’re ready to rock. My favorite is Justin’s almond butter packets because they’re already individually packed so it makes portion control easier too.
- Granola or Fruit/Nut Bars: The key when eating and choosing a fruit or nut bar is to avoid ones with a lot of added sugar or weird processed ingredients. My favorites are Larabar (in any flavor) and KIND bars (my favorite is the one with coconut flakes).
You may not have time to cook all your meals for the week, but you can be prepared with nutritious and healthy snacks to get you through the busiest of days!
The information provided is for general interest only and should not be misconstrued as a diagnosis, prognosis or treatment recommendation. This information does not in any way constitute the practice of medicine, or any other health care profession. Readers are directed to consult their health care provider regarding their specific health situation. Marque Medical is not liable for any action taken by a reader based upon this information.