The Next Great Superfood: Camu Camu by Bree Maloney
Have you heard of Camu Camu? If you have, then you already know about its amazing health benefits and antioxidant properties. But for most people, you probably have never heard of it. I discovered Camu Camu in an ‘Immunity Booster’ drink I bought from my local juice bar. When I looked at the ingredients I saw Orange, Strawberry and Camu Camu. I then decided to do some research on this new immunity booster that I’ve never heard of and what I found was astonishing.
Myrciaria Dubia, also known as Camu Camu, is found in the Amazon rainforest in Peru and Brazil. This cherry-like, non-citrus berry grows on small bushes near riversides. According to researchers, Camu Camu has 50 times the amount of vitamin C as strawberries and oranges. Here are five health benefits that I found about Camu Camu:
- Boosts your Immune System: Camu Camu has the highest level of Vitamin C on the planet. It helps feed the body the necessary nutrients it needs to properly heal and detoxify. It’s also high in antioxidants which block free radicals and other pathogens from entering the body, thus helping the immune system to run better, overall.
- Improves Mood: High levels of vitamin C naturally help your brain produce more serotonin, which will enhance your mood – which is why studies have shown that Camu Camu is a good remedy for depression. Did you know that if you’re low in vitamin C, you can often feel more depressed and lackadaisical?
- Inflammation: Vitamin C helps to repair, form and maintain connective tissue. It also plays a role in protecting joints and reduce inflammation. Researches have said that higher vitamin C levels in the body can reduce inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.
- Antioxidant Packed: Increasing one’s antioxidant intake is essential for optimum health. Camu Camu has high levels of antioxidants, which can add protection against heart, eye and memory problems.
- Contains Protein, Iron and Potassium: It’s rich in potassium that boosts cell formation, encourages muscle activity and ensures nerve health. Iron can help fight fatigue, improves vision and keeps your body strong. The protein in Camu Camu that can help regulate blood pressure and repairs tissues and muscles. Lack of protein can make you lethargic, so make sure you’re eating enough on a regular basis.
You can buy Camu Camu powder online, such as Amazon or any health food store. Since Camu Camu doesn’t taste great on its own (very sour), you can mix it with something else to spice it up! Here are some good ideas on how to use Camu Camu powder:
- Dilute in cold water
- Blend with juice such as orange or strawberry
- Mix with oatmeal and honey
- Make an herbal ice tea with some sweetener
- Stir into yogurt
- Sprinkle on sliced fruit
- Add into a protein shake
The information provided is for general interest only and should not be misconstrued as a diagnosis, prognosis or treatment recommendation. This information does not in any way constitute the practice of medicine, or any other health care profession. Readers are directed to consult their health care provider regarding their specific health situation. Marque Medical is not liable for any action taken by a reader based upon this information.