Surprising Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar by Monique Herb
Apple cider vinegar is a common kitchen ingredient that has many surprising health benefits including:
- Removing Dandruff: The acidity in the vinegar counteracts the growth of dandruff by altering the scalp’s pH, which makes it harder for yeast to grow. Yeast is one of the main contributors to dandruff. All you need to do is mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar (about ¼ cup each) and spray onto hair after shampooing. Then you let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing it out. Doing this twice a week is the most effective.
- Clearing Up Skin: Apple cider vinegar can be diluted and used as an all-natural astringent to dry out pimples. The diluted solution will restore the proper pH levels to your skin and can help reduce the appearance of age spots and acne scars.
- Soothing a Sore Throat: An elixir consisting of one teaspoon apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon cayenne pepper and three teaspoons honey is said to alleviate the pain of a sore throat. The capsaicin in the cayenne peppers helps alleviate pain while the apple cider vinegar and honey have germ fighting properties. A simpler option would be to gargle with apple cider vinegar and warm water. The bacteria in the throat do not like the strong acidity of the apple cider vinegar.
- Alleviating Sunburn Pain: Apple cider vinegar can be added to a cool bath or mixed with cool water and sprayed onto affected area. The apple cider vinegar helps restore your skin’s pH levels, leaving the skin feeling soothed and cooled.
- Eliminating Hiccups: A full teaspoon of apple cider vinegar is great for eliminating hiccups. It is possible that the acidic property of apple cider vinegar helps to prevent the spasms that create hiccups.
- Whitening Teeth: Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with a cup of water and swish around mouth daily. This is a safe and natural way to fight stained teeth. You can also rub apple cider vinegar directly on difficult stains, but make sure not to do this too often because it can break down tooth enamel.
- Easing Heartburn & Indigestion: Diluting a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a cup of water or tea and drinking it before a meal can reduce gas and fight constipation. The vinegar stimulates the digestive juices that breakdown food. Apple cider vinegar can also help relieve heartburn symptoms if a dose is taken as soon as the symptoms begin. The theory behind this is that heartburn happens when there are low stomach acid levels and the apple cider vinegar helps bring those levels up.
The information provided is for general interest only and should not be misconstrued as a diagnosis, prognosis or treatment recommendation. This information does not in any way constitute the practice of medicine, or any other health care profession. Readers are directed to consult their health care provider regarding their specific health situation. Marque Medical is not liable for any action taken by a reader based upon this information.